Tuesday 11 December 2007

Sinterklaas




The Dutch Father Christmas has been to England and left behind pepernooten, small ginger tasting biscuits and sweet goodies for the kids, who left out a shoe for him to fill with things and a parsnip for the white horse (schimmel). Then a large parcel arrived from Holland with presents in it from B's parents, the kids of course, think this is Sinterklaas himself who has brought the presents. Food bits in the parcel included: Dutch cheese, that says on the front of the packet, Stuk Kaas, Speculaas biscuits, which have a kind of cinnamon smell to them, Dropjes, better known to you and I as liquorice, B's favourite and my favourie nut, borrel nootjes, which are peanuts in a crispy, spicy shell. Sinterklaas is a big time for kids in Holland, it's like Father Christmas coming early with his helper Zwarte Piet.








Just time to mention that I will be making trifle like my Grandad H use to make, at the end of this week for a party on Friday night, only I'm going to go my own way and stick jelly in it as well as custard.

No comments: