Tuesday 13 November 2007

Sherbert

I have an obsession at the moment with all things sherbert related. I was preparing recently for a writing exercise, thinking of all the sweets I use to love to eat as a kid and one of the first things that came into my mind was Sherbert Fountains.


They catapult me back into the chair in my parents’ front room. I would pack myself tightly in it, like the sherbert in the yellow packet with the red lettering on the front and black liquorice, just visible at the top of the tube. It would take me hours to eat it.

First, I would pull out the liquorice, long black and dusted in sherbert and bite the top off and let the bitter sweet taste like sweet, black tar fill my mouth. Then I would put the moistened liquorice into the sherbert and dip, pinching the side of the packet to loosen the lumps of powder. The full blown sweetness of the sherbert off setting the more bitter liquorice. Like a sweet and sour Chinese. After getting bored with trying to pick up the sherbert with the liquorice stick, I would eat it in one go by pouring the sherbert full on into my mouth like a shot of vodka. I would feel the full force of it down my throat, up my nose. I could feel a hot prickly feeling on my face. Afterwards I would come to a sherbert full stop with the soggy packaging in my hand.


I always seemed to be alone when eating the Sherbert Fountain, the door between the kitchen, where my mum was making tea and the sitting room where I ate my sweets, firmly closed.


Now, I don't quite have the patience or dedication for Sherbert Fountains so I’ve been getting my kicks, over the last few weeks, from sherbert lemons. These can be enjoyed on the run, tossed around a few times in the mouth before the sherbert seeps out of the grooves inside the sweet. I know the anatomy of a sherbert lemon really well from crunching too early and still being able to feel, with my tongue, the sherbert lying inside, waiting to be released from its lemon trench.


Space Dust..Coming Soon..

No comments: